1/16 Trumpeter 00906 King Tiger build.
The first steps


 

Bad sprocket - track fit - p4 (Manual Page 4)

One of the first concerns when opening the box were some reports on a bad track fit on the sprocket wheels. And... Yes, I had one with a bad fit to!
So, how to deal with that? Firstly, it was discovered that the inner guide horn of the track should be somewhat smaller than the other one. Secondly, the sprocket diameter and the groove at the position of the guide horn are incorrect. To make it all as it should be, the inner guide horns should be filed down and the sprocket completely rebuild. Well, that is no option, so after careful measuring the sprocket wheels, I found that the groove could be reworked just enough to make things fit. This solution would keep just enough material to prevent things from breaking, whilst guaranteeing a good fit. For sure no one is going to measure things up, so as long as the track fits correctly, the differences will be hardly noticeable.
One should note here that neither the sprocket, nor the track is really bad. The problem here is caused by a number of small deviations that are each hardly noticeable, but combined prevent the good fit.

01

01 - This picture still shows the bad fit after a first attempt to improve it. Not good enough, but taking away more material became a bit risky. Yet after more careful measurement, I decided to go for it.

02

02 - The result is a tight fit, only to be improved by cutting part of the guide horn of.
Note that the guide horn has some play on the left side. It's touching there is causing the lift near the sprocket tooth at the right in the previous picture.

03

03 - Note that the sprocket teeth should be clearly visible through the track.

04

04 - Showing the track fit nicely on the sprocket.

Having a lathe at hand was handy with this modification. However, with the very soft material being easy to work on, with some improvisation this can be done without much trouble.

 

Bump stops - incomplete - p5

The bumps stops have one large mistake: they are not finished! The top center is missing, resulting in a very peculiar shape. I tried fixing it with a ring size 6 x 0.8 with a 2mm hole.
The result looked reasonable with the naked eye, but applying a first coat of paint revealed a horrible result. Have to figure out how to continue with this.
A small detail is the missing lubrication point, which I tried to fit is by drilling a small hole, sticking a shaped plastic pin in it.
This is a nice piece to experiment a bit since it will be completely hidden from view in the end. Also to consider is that the top part should be almost completely covered with mud in real life.

05

05 - Original at the Full KT, showing the top.
Don't know about the inner construction - Seems to be a small cylinder combined with a heavy spring.

06

06 - Full KT, showing the missing lubrication point.

07

07 - Having placed the rings, it becomes clear that quality needs some improvement here!
So, work with putty and more paint will be needed.

08

08 - The grease point might not look correct at all in this blown up picture, but it's hard to tell with the naked eye. One can see there is something like it there, which is good enough for (beginner) me.

B-098

(Update)B-098 - Bernd Kubiak Noticed that I was not sure about the bump-stop spring and kindly send me these pictures of the disassembled ones in Full.

B-096

B-096 - This picture is misleading since there should be six disc-springs in each bump-stop. There are three pairs of two. Unlike in this picture, the disks in each pair should be facing each other with the hollow side.

B-104

B-104 - Here we see a complete set of springs together with the lower part of the bump-stop, including the piston.

B-105

B-105 - Showing the lower parts of two bump-stops. Note that the piston is made for heavy loads, but only has a very short travel range.

B-106

B-106 - Here the upper parts of two bump-stops. Note that instead of the mostly used conical bolts, here we see a fixation of normal bots in a bus.

 

Brakes - Missing holes / strange pins - p6

The brakes are missing holes in the side and on the diameter. The outer holes are represented by undefinable small protrusions. Here my attempts to make it look better.
I have observed some colour variation on these also: The Full KT has them in ivory, with rust brown ribs, whilst others seem to be black indeed. Having some freedom here, I went for black in the end, just for the looks.

09

09 - The workshop comes to good use here!

10

10 - Whilst busy, I thought I could make these holes as well.

11

11 - Not all the holes are placed in the center, but that is no problem since only a few will be visible in the end.

Should you want to contact me about this project: rob (at) panzer (remove this and join) basics (dot) com.