The Eva Project, p10,
Mantel brackets, episcopes, browpads, rifling and start of the muzzle brake.


 

01

01 - Barrel end with rifling-awaiting the muzzle brake (MB) to be fitted. The two blank- blocks of polystyrene in front are to be used for this.

02

02 - The rifling-it proved most difficult to make!

03

03 - I only made a short 500mm section.

04

04 - The rather "ugly" internal mantel-brackets. Hopefully these are only a temporary fixture.

05

05 - These brackets allow me to do away with the external-barrel-support.

06

06 - Inside showing the bright, natural daylight coming through the loaders episcope. Note his head and browpads.

07

07 - Under the cupola with all seven episcopes fitted.

08

08 - Note the padded browpads ring. A very important feature if using the episcopes while on the move!

09

09 - I still need to find and fit the large correct wing nut fittings for these.

10

10 - View through the forward cupola episcope. The barrel is clearly aimed "above" my wife's car!

11

11 - Loaders episcope and browpad.

12

12 - View through loaders episcope with "possible" target located above the neighbours tree-line!

13

13 - The open escape-hatch. Label is to remind me to keep it from falling.

14

14 - Rope in place to limit the angle of fall. This is not an original fitting!

15

15 - The hole in the turret-wall proved very difficult to make.

16

16 - Directing my son, the photographer, to take a particular shot...

17

17 - The turrets maker and serial number on the forward roof- panel.

18

18 - Contemplating my next direction...

19

19 - Still without the hull...

20

20 - But all ready to roll across the neighbourhood!

21

21 - The "old" muzzle brake attempt and other MB materials on the platform in the front.

22

22 - On the left is the cardboard mock-up of the turret-bin used for fitting tests.

23

23 - After another hard day in the "office"!

24

24 - Loaders hatch and his covered episcope.

25

25 - The organized "mess" of my shed.

26

26 - On the left is a board with various Zimmerit-paste experiments applied.

27

27 - Later when the MB is fitted-with the long barrel, and the bin-it all takes up all of the length of my shed!

28

28 - Jiggy guarding her grown-up "cub"!

29

29 - Above the cupola with episcopes and browpad fitted.

30

30 - Jiggy contemplates the jumps distance...

31

31 - Initial block of polystyrene for the MB, rounded and fitted on my old lathe.

32

32 - Shaping the block for the internal MB "core". A very messy operation!

33

33 - The outside MB profile after initial shaping.

34

34 - Left-outside profile. Right-inside core.

35

35 - Initial coatings on internal core.

36

36 - After this was finished-turpentine was poured inside to dissolve the polystyrene.

37

37 - Fibre-glassing the two MB components.

38

38 - At least six layers where applied to each.

39

39 - I built a temporary wooden-stand to aid in the numerous resin coatings.

40

40 - Sand was also applied over the wet fibreglass for added strength.

41

41 - I tinted the latter coats to aid the working process.

42

42 - The still rough external MB on the stand.

43

43 - Front opening of the MB-core.

44

44 - Back opening of the MB-core. Note in the foreground are initial profile boards I made from scaled-up MB plans.

45

45 - After cutting the external profile in half and hollowing-out,it created yet another big mess !

46

46 - Halfway mark on the external profile.

47

47 - The hollow core is glued firmly inside the two outside halves.

48

48 - Internal and external components.

49

49 - A lot of test fitting, and patience was required!

50

50 - The sand over the resin proved extremely difficult to shape any further!

51

51 - A 100% alignment of the MB components had to be achieved!

52

52 - Further fibreglass coats following the fixing of the core inside.

53

53 - As the MB currently stands...

54

54 - Once the final outside profile is completed, the difficult job of making the side-openings will be attempted...